My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

PLAYING TO YOUR STRENGTHS

In our staff meeting today we chatted a little about counselling and how the development of our Celebrate Recovery program should ease that load considerably.

My comment that I hardly do any counselling at all was met with unbridled laughter which puzzled me for a moment. Then I was informed that since I have made it pretty clear publicly that I don't like doing counselling and don't want to do it, it's no surprise my phone is not ringing off the hook.

I'm not complaining. Apart from the fact that I'm not good at it, I am convinced that most counselling is a total waste of time. I've discovered that most people who suddenly want an appointment yesterday are not looking for help and are unwilling to make changes. They want someone to listen to them and sympathise with them - period. No offence but you can pay people out there to do that for you. You don't need to hijack a pastor from leading a church, especially when he's not going to be a blind bit of help to you anyway.

Yesterday I spent quite a bit of time talking to two church planters, one in Canada and the other in California. Both plan to start things rolling next year and have the mistaken idea that having done this stuff for so long I actually know what I'm talking about.

Spending time with them was fun. I'm meeting another church planter tomorrow. Planters are insane, a breed apart. Maybe there's a good reason I find an affinity with them!

I don't think it upsets anyone in our church that I play to my strengths. I do what I do best and don't mess about with the rest. Of course if there are those who are miffed by the fact I don't sit and soak it up when they want to vent about their problems, they could always go to counselling!!!