My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, October 30, 2006

HALLOWEEN

Tomorrow evening I'm planning to spend a couple of hours at Fun 4 All in Port Jefferson Station as we've rented the place from 6.00pm to 8.00pm for a fall party. Simple soul that I am, I figure our kids should be able to go to school on Wednesday and join in the bragging about who had the best Halloween, instead of hiding in a corner, dying with embarassment and trying to explain why they don't do Halloween at their house, even though they don't actually understand why themselves.

I think our kids will have a blast. I love Fun 4 All, especially the big slide which I try to go down at least once, hoping I don't get caught, as I'm waaay above the age limit specified on the sign beside it!

I'm glad to hear so many people are inviting unchurched friends and neighbors to come too. It will be a good connection event.

It amuses me how some Christians get freaked out by Halloween. You'd think that a five year old at your door asking for candy in his ill-fitting Batman outfit was a messenger direct from the realm of sulphur.

Look, I know all the history of the date. I've read a load of stuff about it and there's no arguing on my part about it being the high holy day for Satanists. However for the 99.9999999999% of people who are not devil worshipers, it's a dress-up, be scarey, have fun, eat candy day, period!

I don't like the weirdness that goes with a lot of the scarey stuff and I also realize that kids can be in far more danger nowadays than they were when trick-or-treating a generation ago.

That's why we're throwing our own party and we'll have a ball!