My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, October 23, 2006

S.A.

Had a long chat with Gill today. She doesn't look for the limelight in our church and so a lot of people probably don't really know her that well. I have known her for over 38 years now and I wish everyone had the insight I have into what an amazing person she is.

Despite having knee replacement surgery just over six months ago and still experiencing considerable discomfort, she undertook an 8,000 miles journey because seven years ago she promised an obscure South African woman that she would do all she could to help her as she rescued children in a remote colored township.

She has earned the love and respect of hundreds of children living in poverty and hopelessness. She doesn't preach at them, she loves them. Now and again she gives some of them a straight talk, like she did yesterday with a teenage girl who has left one of the safe houses and is now drinking a lot and sleeping around. That conversation ended with the girl in tears and seriously re-thinking her decisions.

Over the years Gill has not only introduced dozens of others to Kurland and her kids, but in so doing she has helped many of them find potential in themselves they had no idea was there.

I miss her a lot, but if that one girl turns her life around; if some of the team with her realize they are capable of far more than they anticipated; if Kathy is encouraged to keep going against all odds and share God's love with the kids in Kurland, it's worth it all.

But all credit to Gill for making that incredible journey one more time.