My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, October 16, 2006

MOVING OUT

Who'd have thunk it?

After all these years together, Gill and I are going our separate ways.

She left this afternoon and is heading south - South Africa to be more specific, with a team of ten people from the church.

I'm flying off to the Dominican Republic in the morning to spend a couple of days with our missionaries down there.

The good news is we'll be back together when she returns on the 29th - I'll be home Friday!

I married a remarkable woman, someone who cares tremendously for others. This has been a tough year in many ways, with some serious family health issues and Gill having a knee replacement herself in the spring. She had every reason not to make this trip.

But 8,000 miles away there are several hundred children living in abject poverty whose faces will light up when she walks along their dirt streets on Wednesday. They won her heart the first time she was in the colored township of Kurland. She came home and directed me that we have to do something for these boys and girls. With her encouragement and the backing of so many in our church, we have been able to make a difference as we have taken the Kids Explosion program under our wing.

Our team will be involved in spiritual, social, educational and recreational activities with these great kids and will leave them with fresh heart and new hope.

Gill felt we could help make a difference and she's dead right. In true Blackmore fashion, she's not asking anyone to do what she won't do herself, so she's off to Africa yet again.

God bless her trip and bring her home safe!