My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, October 13, 2006

BALANCE IS BUNK

Here's an article I just found - and liked - from John Stanke's MONDAY MEMO -

There is one phrase that I hear all the time when I meet with people. Perhaps I would hear you say it if we got together. What is the phrase? I'm glad you asked. That phrase is a simple two words.

YES, BUT. . .

I hear "yes, but" all the time. Do you hate your job? "Yes, but I can't quit." Are you good at what you do? "Yes, but it's not me, it's the Lord." Do you want to travel? "Yes, but I'm not sure it's God's will." Do you want to be in ministry full-time? "Yes, but I'm not sure if it's the right time or season." Are you ready to do God's will in your life no matter what the cost? "Yes, but I want balance and don't want to go overboard on any one thing."

I have come to the conclusion that "yes, but" people are expert excuse makers. They use their magnificent creativity to concoct all kinds of reasons why now is not the time for them to produce, shine or make an impact. I have come to the conclusion that "yes, but" is really the same answer as "no." "Yes, but" sounds a whole lot better.

The last excuse on my list of examples is one that I would like to explore more closely and that is our desire for balance.

BALANCE IS BUNK

Many people stop short of effectiveness because they don't want to go overboard. They want to be balanced. They want to have faith, but not excessive faith. They want to address racism, for example, but not make anyone unhappy or uncomfortable. They want to see world-class results in their life, but not have to pay a world-class price.

I challenge you to name one person who was balanced who made a difference in the world. Was Martin Luther or Martin Luther King? How about Nelson Mandela or Florence Nightingale? Perhaps Winston Churchill or Billy Graham?

Now you would say that those were great people who had a unique purpose to fulfill? All right then, think of your favorite teacher when you were growing up. Were they balanced or were they passionate about teaching and learning? Think of your favorite athlete or singer? How did they achieve that special place in your mind? They did it, I would guess, because they were totally committed to their craft, their purpose. I would further imagine that they were not "yes, but" people, but "yes, and here's how we will do it" people.

Yes, I believe that balance is bunk, a myth that we pursue in our minds. The pursuit of balance makes us ineffective and at times boring. Listen to yourself this week and see if you are in the habit of saying, "Yes, but." If you are, then keep the yes, and get rid of the but. From there, I urge you to get busy giving the world what you have that it needs. As you do, I know you'll have a great week.