My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

MIXED FEELINGS

I got a phone call today that I didn't really know what to do with - but it all worked out in the end.

An old friend who works in real estate had heard about a new church building that had come on the market just five or six miles from the Patchogue UA. I guess the congregation putting it up had got into difficulties and this almost-finished 30,000 square feet structure on over five acres of land is now up for sale.

I wasn't really excited about it. I like our theater and I love our Church At The Movies identity. I like being debt-free too. What to do? Should I check it out?

I finally took a ride down there this afternoon and walked around the property and the outside of the building. Looks a bit like a church - an attractive church - problem is, we're not really like a church! Do we really want to become churchy? I don't think so!

The matter was resolved as I walked back to my car and met a local pastor I know. He tells me his church is seriously considering buying this building. That's good. I wouldn't compete with them anyway, so the subject is closed.

And we still get top billing at Patchogue UA on Sunday mornings!