My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

SURPRISE!

We had a good evening at our house this past Sunday as we had a coffee and dessert get together for the pastors and folks that are new to our church. It's always an interesting time and it gives the opportunity to start to connect with people that are checking us out or who in their minds have already settled in at Church At The Movies.

We keep it low key - way too much cake and stuff left over, but anyway what I did about the temptation is another subject - and we ask two questions ...

1. How did you hear about the church?

2. Why did you come back?

Got an interesting answer to the second question, one that exposed one of my favorite Sunday morning tricks. This lady said she was impressed by (she used the word and I totally agree) my humility. Let me explain...

I'm doing my usual pre-service thing a couple of weeks ago, wandering around with a cup of coffee in my hand and looking out for guests. So I see this woman walking in with that where-do-I-go-now look on her face. I introduce myself, "Hi, I'm Roger, thanks for coming. Is this your first time here?" Then we get into conversation for a few minutes. Nice lady.

I keep wandering. She waits for friends and just after the service has got under way, as I'm still chatting with folks, I say hi to her and her friends as they go into Worship Central.

From what she said Sunday night, she got a shock some time into the service when I got up on stage and she realized I am the lead pastor. I guess like a lot of people she wasn't used to being in a church where the pastor is a regular person and mixes freely with everyone else who's there to worship.

I love doing that to people! Surprise!!!

I don't introduce myself as "Pastor" because we don't use those titles anyway. Pastor is a function not a point of elevation above others.

Of course I don't dress the part either. I wear clothes I'm comfortable in, even though I can't get used to buying my jeans with designer rips in them. (Good job my mother can't see me now!!!)

So if that's what makes me appear humble, I'll take it. That same lady used the word "normal" too - man, I hope she sticks around!!!