My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

EIGHT YEARS AND COUNTING

Eight years ago this morning I took one of the scariest rides of my life. It wasn't on the roller coaster at Coney Island or the Loch Ness Monster with its horrific drop at Busch Gardens. This was the drive from our house, about six miles south to the Inn At Medford for Grace Church's opening service.

Who would show up? How many would show up? Would this thing fly or would it end up going under in less than a year like the majority of church plants? Had I heard from God? Was I doing what he wanted? Where on earth would I get a job if this didn't work out?

I had never read a single book on church planting (not because I was arrogant, just because I didn't know what was available); I had never attended a training course to do this or one of the boot camps that are in fashion nowadays. So I just put a few ads in the local advertising paper and waited to see who would show up.

We set out around 50 chairs that first day and spread them out well so the room looked full. But fifteen minutes before we were due to start, more seats were being added (the first and only time so many of our folks have been so early!) and by 10.00am when the service began, we were using every one of the 154 chairs in the place.

The room was crowded as I came to the microphone for the first time and anounced - Welcome to Grace Church. And so the journey began.

I'll reflect on it a little more over the next few days and as we celebrate our 8th Anniversary on Sunday, but for now I'm just remembering where I was exactly eight years ago this morning, watching in amazement as people kept on coming.

What a ride!