My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

WAAAAY TOO QUIET

I think we should ban missions trips because people who go on them have far too much fun. They get to travel to interesting places; hang out with great people; eat exotic foods; be treated like heroes and generally have the time of their lives helping others, because Jesus wasn't kidding when he said that it's more blessed to give than to receive.

I've heard a bunch of nonsensical and unbiblical reasons for churches not getting into missions, most of them from pastors, like -

This is our mission field right here at home and when everyone here knows Jesus we'll spread our wings a bit then.

We can't keep pouring money into missions because we need money here ourselves.

Each church is different, and not every congregation is meant to be sending people overseas all the time.


And thus the chicken-hearted codswallop continues ad infinitum.

If the self-centered leaders who can see no further than their own belly buttons really want a reason not to fulfil the Great Commission, all they have to do is ask. I'll give them one.

It's very lonely back at home when your spouse goes on a missions trip!

There you go - now that's what I call justifiable cause! Its way too quiet here!