My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

SUCCESS AND STRESS

Still in the sunny DR!
Three years ago I sat down with our missionaries, Rob and Kelli Nelson and discussed what their next step might be as their commitment to a mission here had come to an end. I guess Island Impact Ministries was born that evening on the patio of the Sosua By The Sea hotel.

The goal was to share the love of Jesus in a very practical way, by bringing health care to the impoverished people of Sosua and some of the remote villages in this part of the country. Back then there was no real plan how to go about this, where medications would come from, who would help, etc.

Fast forward to 2006 when Island Impact has its own clinic, a reliable new vehicle to reach isolated towns, a whole pharmacy, an eye care clinic, a team of eye surgeons coming in once a year and a team of general surgeons flying in annually too. You can add to this three churches assisted in a bunch of practical ways, including finding child sponsorship so they can offer education to several hundred children.

Plus there is an ever-moving English speaking church that Rob planted and pastors right in the heart of the town.

Man, have they done well. But they're fried! Where are all the people who want to be missionaries? They could use some down here!