My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

TEAR UP THE MANUAL

It's overcast here in the DR today, with the sun occasionally breaking through. I'm spending this afternoon talking some more with our missionaries down here, Rob and Kelli nelson.

They're doing a medical clinic this morning, which I opted out of in favor of reading beside the pool and just catching my breath - I'll go to tomorrow's clinic so I have a first-hand picture of some of the stuff they're doing.

Charlotte is our main link person with the work going on down here through Island Impact and the teams we sends down several times a year keep us well connected, so my main purpose in toughing it out in this resort town for a couple of days is mentoring this great couple.

We talked for quite a while yesterday and one thing that came through clearly is the need for them to forget the normal model of church and continue to develop church here that is totally relevant to the culture. They meet over a restaurant on Sunday mornings and have been using DVDs for worship lately, which is totally okay so long as you forget the manual.

There is no set way to do church. You won't find a single dominant pattern in the New testament or in church history.

It takes guts to break free from decades or centuries of tradition, but it's so, so necessary.

So I'm encouraging Rob and Kelli to build the church side of their minsityry 5 miles from normal and be glad to be there.

After all, I never did like normal.