My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

THROUGH ANOTHER'S EYES

We invited feedback and suggestions from the team visiting us from Minnesota this past weekend to check out how we do church in our theater. Charlotte got some comments today, so here's how we looked to one of them -


It is awesome to know there is another church out there with the same mission, vision, and environment that we have. I absolutely love everyone's energy and enthusiasm. You asked for feedback also. So, I will tell you what I saw:

1. Well marked areas with clear directives about where venues took place.

2. A welcoming and warm enviroment. Seriously, I didn't know New Yorkers hugged each other as a greeting! : ) I love it! Wow...stereotypes are so limiting!!

3. People of all generations! Wahoo! I love that you draw in Seniors...how cool is that? We learn from the experiences of those who go before us. Your "Bagel/ Coffe Team" and Front door greeters were so gracious. Everyone was so helpful and gave us input.

4. Storage carts organized for each venue (kids, preschool, nursery, altered, video cafe, live service, etc.). That was so cool! Just to have it all together and people know exactly where it belongs on Sunday morning.

5. Your set up crew was super! They reminded me of our own. What a heart for service they have in them.

6. A beautifully decorated stage and great worship music in the "big church" venue.

7. A relaxing and open atmosphere in your video cafe. I love that people feel they are able to chat with one another about the message!

8. In Altered, I saw young adults and youth worshipping to live music and listening to a live message relevant to them. I can't imagine the energy that it takes every week since it appeared to be a one-man show. Again, a teen serving on the power point. Wow! They really seem into serving one another.

9. The nursery was in such a great area. The foam was super for keeping babies socks and knees clean! I spoke with the volunteers a bit and they really have a heart for kids. Your teens are wonderful with the little ones!

10. In the preschool, Tracy has a nice program for the younger kids. They were interacting with the video, she did not seem to have any behavior problems. When "big church" got out early, she was so disappointed that the kids didn't get to finish everything. The parents waited patiently for her to finish and for the kids to buy prizes with their reward money. I have NEVER seen preschoolers so focused. Wow!

11. In the grade school, I saw your enthusiasm for the curriculum and passion for kids. Wow! do they love competing! They were so engaged in the game, I couldn't believe it. They all seemed happy to be there and were so focused on the lesson. Your mic was wonderful. It really helped the kids stay focused. The other adult volunteers spoke of your enthusiasm and how they enjoyed serving the kids. Some commented on the effectiveness of the curriculum and showed passion for bringing kids into a relationship with Jesus Christ. Cool!

I don't know what more I can say. You have it down! The church's collective passion for showing people the love of Jesus Christ is evident. I wish I knew what type of suggestions to make but, as an outsider, it looks like you have it all figured out!