My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

DISTRACTIONS

While it's a relief to get back in touch with the world again on the dear old worlwide web, I must admit to being a little distracted just now by the incredible aroma from lunch being cooked in the nearby kitechen.

It's a well documented fact that I love Indian food, so meal times are no hardship on this particular missions venture. Maintaining self-control when it comes to quantities is the real battle.

Most of the uninitiated think Indian cuisine is simply spelled H-O-T, but there's far more to it than that. For a start not every dish burns your mouth, but you can be assured that whatever is set before you, it will lack nothing in flavor. That's why I planned a walk this morning (haven't exercised much this trip) that included another visit to the supermarket. There I picked up a couple of items you won't find on shelves on Long Island, to add to those purchased a few days ago. Tamarind paste, ginger paste, garlic paste, ginger/garlic paste.

Lest anyone rushes to the conclusion that food is the main focus of my time here, let me hasten to add that after lunch I will be spending some time planning the Purpose Driven Church Conference that I will be teaching key pastors here in Mumbai in February and then this evening I have two teaching sessions with the English-speaking congregation of Basil's church.

Tomorrow night I head for home, arrive early Friday morning (don't ask how, but there will be 34 hours to my Friday due to time zones) and get right into finalizing plans for the launch of our Christmas series The Nativity story on Sunday morning.

There are some great things happening here and a lot of potential as we look to the future - more about that on Sunday!

For now, I smell lunch calling!