My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, May 04, 2007

THEATER CHURCH PROMOS

Stole this from John Laeger's blog - www.johnlaeger.typepad.com
it's an interesting email he got recently, plus his comments on it. As one theater church pastor reading about another theater church pastor, I appreciated it -

Okay...this email that came in today just has me totally rolling on the floor!

"Yesterday while visiting in your community I happened upon the church notices in the local newspaper. In the course of my reading I came upon the ad placed there by your church. I read the three criteria that were listed (No perfect people allowed; No offering plate passed; And no making out in the back row). The last condition absolutely floored me. This is a statement in a church notice???!!! I consider this to be incredibly tasteless, inappropriate, and highly questionable. Were I looking for a church home, I would not for a minute consider one with such a blatant and outrageous message in its advertising. You would do your congregation a favor by removing the "no making out in the back row"; sentence from your ad."

So...whoever you are, we will make one exception... You, and only you CAN make out in the back row. We will even reserve a section just for you and you can makeout all you want. (Just keep the sounds of swapping spit down so the others who aren't making out can listen to the great music and the relevant message!)

Maybe if churches and "church people" would lighten up a bit, smile, have some fun, and really live out the joy that comes with a grace relationship with Jesus - there would be more people in church, hearing the message, enjoying the experience, and knowing a refreshing (not stuffy) relationship with Jesus!

Sheesh!