My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Bitter / Sweet

I woke up early this morning and rushed to the mailbox to retrieve the morning paper and check over the election results. Please be assured I am not making a political comment here, so whether you voted Democrat, Republican, Independent, Conservative or Suffolk Workers United To Keep The World Turning, don't fall out with me!

When I looked at the local results I was interested to note that only one person who voted to change Brookhaven's Town Code to stop us and other churches from building was elected to public office last night. And that one, who probably had the largest majority last time, watched as it was slashed.

A lot of Christians don't get over-involved in politics, but when the state starts interfering with their freedom to worship, when a Town Board tries to dictate how big a congregation can grow, when council members use their powers to try to thwart the work of God, the writing is on the wall for them. We may not make a lot of noise, but there are a lot of believers in Brookhaven.

I am happy to see them make such an impact and let it be known that if pushed we will stand up for the rights we have under God and under the U.S. constitution. Opposing people's right to worship has cost them.

The downside of all this is that if the old Board, which is in office until the end of the year, does not move swiftly to clean up its own mess, we will then be dealing with a whole new group of people. But hopefully they will be wiser than their predecessors. Thank God for democracy!