My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Farewell For A While

By the time our service at Grace starts today, I will have finished both the morning (English) and evening (Hindi) services here at Covenant Blessings Church. We had a great time this morning and it was good to see everyone here again - Basil introduced me as a father to the church here. Now I don't know about that (I'm way too young after all!), but the worship was outstanding and I think the preacher went over pretty well too. I used the sermon I preached at home last Sunday to start our 40 Days of Community - "Why We Need Each Other".

I was telling them that I love the church - and I do. That's only right, because the Bible says that Jesus loves the church too. Looking forward to being back in our own church next Sunday!

This will be my last post here for about a week as we leave early tomorrow on the four hours drive to Poona where the church camp is being held. It's in an old hospital which is now a retreat center. I hear it's pretty basic, so it should be fun. Basil tells me there's generally a rat that keeps coming up the drain in the room I'll be using - should be fun.

Please pray that these next five days will be significant in the lives of everyone who is there. Friday night we start the long journey back to JFK, arriving Saturday afternoon. Taking the time difference into consideration, we'll be traveling around 34 actual hours, but it will be worth it to sleep in my own bed again and see our own church family on Sunday.

As we move out from here tomorrow, Gill will be heading to South Africa with a missions team. I guess we share the same passion to show God's love to those who need him and when you think about it, it's a good job we're on the same page even though we're on different continents.