My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Starbucks Sermon

Life in the 21st Century really is amazing! Especially to someone born when food was still being rationed following WWII, trains were being powered by steam, televisions were only just becoming popular and the Beatles were hardly out of diapers.

In those dark distant years when some dianosaurs still roamed the forests of southern England, there was no such thing as the internet (Al Gore was just a kid) nor was there an extravagently priced coffee house on every corner. But that was then and this is now.

So to my amazement and amusement - simple soul that I am, there I was sitting in Starbucks on East 66th Street in Manhattan today and working just as if it was my regular basement office. I walked in, plugged in, logged in and had full access to the internet and to my Bible program, so I worked on my sermon right there amidst the chaos of life in the city.

For those who may wonder why I took the 7.04 out of Ronkonkoma this morning to sit and prepare Sunday's sermon over a latte, there is of course a simpler answer than the fact that I may at last have totally lost my marbles.

I'm leaving for India on Sunday afternoon and while I have a 10 year visa, my friend Josh who is traveling with me doesn't have any visa at all. As he couldn't get away from work, I told him I'd go to the Indian Embassy with his paperwork. You drop it off at 9.15 and pick it up again at 12.00 noon (which turned out to be 1.10 in reality).

While waiting I used the time to work on Sunday's sermon, deal with emails, write some letters, etc. The coffee was good (totally overpriced of course) and there were few distractions. I actually got quite a lot done, but I doubt if I'll make a habit of riding the LIRR to my coffee shop office on 3rd Avenue.