My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, December 16, 2005

Eight Days To Go

Christmas Eve is just eight days away and I'm really pumped about our greatest outreach opportunity this side of the summer solstice. I'm already getting word of visitors who are looking forward to spending some time with us that evening and others who needed a bit of gentle persuasion.

I heard about one conversation that went this way -
"Are you coming to church Christmas Eve?"
"Nah!"
"You know you can either be with us or you'll have to go to your mother's church on Christmas Day."
"Okay, I'll be there Christmas Eve!"

Earlier this year I heard about a church that had over 30,000 people to their Christmas Eve services and I felt we should start using this opportunity. But there were two issues, where to do it and when?

The where was settled unexpectedly when Regal Entertainment agreed to let us rent our regular theater at Patchogue UA.

The when became clear as I checked out what the Catholics do (and they know how to pack 'em in at Christmas). They either do early masses or midnight mass - they don't mess up the evening. That's why we're going for a one hour service at 5.00pm. It's good to work smart!

Eight days to go ... and counting!

SUPERCOOL PERSON OF THE WEEK
It's Friday, so it's that time again. Time to ackowledge someone who makes a particular contribution to the mission of Grace Church and to reward them with the most coveted prize on the internet, our Supercool Person of The Week Award.

So here are a couple of questions -

1. Who has attended more services at Grace Church than I have?

2. Who is one of the first people you see there every Sunday morning?

3. Who will be 84 years old next Thursday, December 22nd?

You got it - it's Dan Ricci!
Dan is there before 7.30 every Sunday morning and he gets everything ready so that he is handing out news sheets at the main door as soon as folks start arriving. The weather doesn't deter him and sickness hasn't held him back. Neither he nor I can remember if he missed one Sunday when he had a throat problem a few years ago - we tend to think not. Which means that for 375 Sundays without a break he has been the first to welcome those who come to worship.

Long may he continue in that role!