My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

DIDN'T HE DO WELL!

Day 2 of this brief Scottish trip comes to an end this evening (we're five hours ahead) with a meeting wih a number of people I am briefing about our thoughts for a missions trip this summer. I have known them all for years, so it will be good to see them and get their feedback. I have had a number of profitable meetings already and have two appointments tomorrow before returning home on Friday.

I am enjoying spending this time with the pastor of a good church in Milton Keynes, England, who is looking at joining with us together with a team from his church.

Billy Ritchie is 42 years old now, but he was around 12 when I first met him. He was a boy with a real heart for God and we became close friends back then. Modern church-speak would say I discipled him or mentored him. But we just hung out a lot and I took him to a number of places with me (kind of like Jesus did with people). He eventually went off to Bible school and into ministry hundreds of miles away. It's great to see how God has used him and is continuing to bless others through this father of two who was a scrawny kid when our paths first crossed.

But I do believe there's something wrong with the pattern of losing your best people to Bible Schools. I prefer hands-on training that develops into ministry in your home environment. Home grown leaders are the best kind and that pattern is developing more and more.

Some of the best churches in our country have pastors on staff with no formal training in theology, but with a passion for God and abilities to lead that have placed them at the forefront.

It's one thing to see those who show promise succeed miles away, it's another to harness their energy in the local church. That's the best way to go!