My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, February 17, 2006

READING TIME

I know there are some folks who never read a book and while I know that doesn't make them bad people, I must admit that I don't fully understand them! Personally I wish I had more time to read. But because I don't manage to get through all the material I would like to, I've decided to freeze my book-buying.

Between what I've got myself, what I was given over Christmas and what I bought with gift certificates, I have quite a stack waiting for me to get into it. Here's what I'm looking at getting through in the near future -

THE BARBARIAN WAY by Erwin McManus
AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE by Erwin McManus
THROUGH PAINTED DESERTS by Donald Miller
THE CREATIVE LEADER by Ed Young
NEVER EAT ALONE by Keith Ferrazzi
LEADING BEYOND THE WALLS by Adam Hamilton
THE EXPERIENCE ECONOMY by Joseph Pine
ENTREPRENEURIAL FAITH by Kirbyjon Caldwell

I haven't got into any of these yet, but Erwin mcManus is currently my favorite preacher - he's radical! Donald Miller's first book, Blue Like Jazz was outstanding and I thoroughly recommend it. It's way outside the box, but it's real!

SUPERCOOL PERSON OF THE WEEK
It's that time of week again. And there's a good chance that the people who will carry off this prestigious award will not even be aware of it. They possibly do not frequent these pages and they're not part of our church. Yet they are in a way.

I have discovered over the years that the most important aspect of renting facilities for a church is to have a good relationship with the staff. We do not have a good relationship with the management and staff at Patchogue UA movie theater - we have an excellent relationship with them.

Eileen, who is the General Manager, goes out of her way to make sure we are comfortable and is more than willing to accommodate some of our crazier ideas - like staging a walk-through Narnia for Christmas Eve or filling a horse trough with water from the bathrooms several hundred yards away so we can baptize people every couple of months.

It's usually Tina who drags herself out of bed early every Sunday to be there at 7.00am sharp so that the doors are open for us. If some of the theaters open earlier than normal for shows, she does all she can to make sure we have space elsewhere.

The staff collectively are a great help to us. We couldn't function without their support and we certainly get it. It's one thing for a corporate office in Colorado to okay a lease, but it's the people on the ground in the individual theaters that make it happen.

I hear some horror stories occasionally from other theater churches, but we have none to tell. Thanks to all at the UA, our Supercool People Of The Week!

Why not make a point of thanking all the staff you see on Sunday?