My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentines Day

So far so good, I think. Started the day by giving my wife a CD of love songs, Amore and a box of chocolate roses - plus the obligatory card of course. Not that I want to offend 75% of Long Island, but what's the attraction in a bunch of songs in Italian???

Dinner and a movie tonight. Sorry but I do have a real problem with all the restaurants that bump up their prices for the evening and then compensate by giving the wife a rose. So we're going to Outback - using a gift certificate we got at Christmas. Hope I'm not sounding cheap already. Maybe I'll quit while I'm ahead!

Valentines Day has really fallen victim to the consumer society. One of the advantages of having lived for ever is that I can look back on simpler times. When I was a teenager Valentines were always sent anonymously, so spotty adolescents would rush home from school to see how many cards had come in the mail. Then came the real detective work of trying to find out who they were from and the particularly important job of trying to decipher whether there was a Hallmark special from the person you really hoped to get one from. It was fun.

Of course the smarter ones among us kept our Christmas cards and simply compared handwriting to see who exactly was sending us romantic notes.

Oh the innocence of those days!

But I do like a good steak!