My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

WHAT DO I KNOW?

When we start our Caffeinated Christianity series on Sunday, I want to look at the question of How good is good enough?

A lot of people live the majority of their lives in some state of self-condemnation wishing they were just that little bit better. Occasionally when we brush shoulders with Mr.Superchristian or listen to the subtle boasts of a spiritual Wonderwoman, we feel that if we really gritted our teeth and sorted ourselves out, we could maybe - and just maybe - rise to be one tenth of the person they are. So we try and we fail and we feel a disaster.

So, how good is good enough for God? That's Sunday's question.

Yesterday I heard that Charles Stanley's son Andy, who has a great church of his own in Alpharetta, GA, has actually written a book using my message title. How dare he? I like it's extended version - Since Nobody's Perfect, How Good Is Good Enough? Sounds an interesting book. I hadn't heard of it before.

Then when I mentioned it in the office today, I was informed that we've been selling it on our Guest Services Table for several weeks now! Ah well! What do I know?

You may think that means I'm out of touch, but it actually means I'm an excellent leader - and I have that on good authority. A couple of weeks ago, I heard T.D.Jakes tell a group of several thousand pastors that it you know everything that is happening in your church, you are a micro-manager and not a good pastor.

Weighing up that statement, I think that makes me more than a good pastor, more than excellent, in fact I could well be on the road to Sainthood, because so much happens at Grace just the way it should - people get on with what they have committed to do without waiting for the nod from me on every detail. I really don't know much!

And quite frankly, I really don't want to know everthing either.