My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

WHY SCOTLAND?


A couple of weeks ago someone asked me an excellent question that may well be in other people's heads too. Why do missions in a Christian country like Scotland? Good question!

Here are a few rambling reasons as I sit here not sleeping because though the clock says it's almost midnight, my body thinks I should be watching the end of World News Tonight, with the whole evening ahead of me.

1. Jesus told us to take the good news to the whole world.

2. Scotland is pretty much a godless nation despite its CHristian heritage.

3. Less than 5% of Scots attend church - probably far less have a real relationship with God.

4. Because the need and therefore the opportunity is greater here than in some traditional missions areas.

5. Whole nations in Africa are more Christian than this one.

6. Because Scotland is a place I care about and I would love for others to visit it, meet some great people and share Jesus here.

7. Because some remote areas will never really hear the freeing message of Jesus unless someone actually goes there.

Most of our missions activities as a church are in areas where no one else is working. There is very little happening in these villages I am in tonight. We would be continuing a pattern. Instead of being one among many voices we might be the only voice.

Anyway, sleep well and pray for Scotland!