My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

GETTING THE BUZZ

Today is a day to try to tie up a bunch of loose ends as I'm leaving in the morning for the nation's capital. I'm not going to be lobbying our senators, though there are a few things I'd love to talk to them about, nor will I be walking in the Rose Garden with the President this time around.

No disrespect to our politicians, but I'm going to meet a group of people who are influencial in a far different way and who I'd much rather spend time with. The National Community Church in D.C. is hosting what we believe to be the first ever conference for theater church senior pastors.

We're hooking up first thing Thursday morning for a round-table discussion, which I gather will involve 65 of us at the last count. It will be fascinating to hear what is and what is not being done in movie theaters. I'll be happy to throw in my two cents and to learn all I can from the assembled wisdom of leaders of sticky-carpeted churches.

Thursday afternoon the whole things moves into a more inclusive conference for a day and a half with leaders from all over the country and while I'm looking forward to that, it's the theater thing that has tweaked my interest.

A number of guys I know from around the country will be there too, which is why I'm arriving the afternoon before the conference starts. That gives us an evening to have dinner, hang out, catch up with one another and generally having fun in the heart of DC.

Should be a profitable time with a very full program. My apologies to George - maybe next time!