My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, July 17, 2006

HOT ENOUGH?

That was a hot one and according to the weather folks, who are almost as infallible as the Pope, there's more on the way. Though our office is closed on Mondays, I decided to check the phone messages this afternoon and picked up a distress call from a young woman living in a Selden shelter with an eight year old asthmatic son. The shelter supplied a fan, but that was it. Turns out we have a spare air conditioner in the garage, so I have just passed it on to her. Hope the poor boy gets some relief tonight - mom too! It's great to be able to bring a smile to someone's face.

But earlier this afternoon I failed in a mission to bless someone. Here's how that went down - Yesterday I read on a friend's blog that there was a growing trend, especially in Seattle, of people paying for the car behind them in Starbucks' drive-through's.

I make no secret of the fact that Starbucks is not my favorite coffee, but since they provide facilities that I use as a second office, the least I can do is drink their strong, over-priced brew.

Anyway, having read that info last night, I decided to give it a try as I was passing Starbucks this afternoon. So I turned in, ordered brewed coffee with skim milk and drove around to the window. As I pulled up there, I prepared to tell the staffer that I would pay for the car behind me too and so checked in the mirror first to make sure the vehicle behind did not contain a soccer mom, her son and his whole team.

Imagine my surprise when I realized there was no one there. No one waiting, no one coming, no one just pulling in.

Ah well - I tried.

Why don't you try it sometime too!