My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

OUT OF THE PARK

I've been mixing up my sports metaphors all morning, so I guess one more time won't matter. Our service today wasn't just a home run, it was out of the park. The band was outstanding - must be because Mike was back on guitar!!! The preacher was half-decent too!

What also helped was we had our biggest crowd since Memorial Day - 33% more than last Sunday. It's still hot here and it's still summer, so the only thing that makes this weekend any different from last was that we put a call in to everyone in the church on Friday to remind them about the new series we were starting today. I guess it worked!

Rather than re-hash my sermon for you (you can get it on our website very soon!) pardon me while I brag about some of our folks for a second, because something was happening today that blew me away. Our worship leader Nancy (together with her husband Al who leads one of our set-up teams), plus our other main worship leader Ray (and his wife Donna who does sound and lights for us) - to say nothing of their actively involved teenage daughters - left for vacation straight from church.

You might not think that worthy of your valuable time as you surf the internet looking for something of interest because there is nothing on 576 channels of TV, but stick with me because there is a point to this story - a very rare one.

The two families chose to leave for vacation on Sunday afternoon and return on Saturday - so that they will not miss a Sunday of ministry in church.

See, I said this was rare. Most of you know that I've been around since Noah was a boy and I want to assure you, I haven't seen a lot of this kind of commitment.

I find it humbling, encouraging and downright outrageous.

Have a great vacation guys - you're eight in a million!