My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

CARE FOR THE CUSTOMER, STUPID!

Had an interesting jaunt out and about in the rain on Tuesday evening while Gill was meeting with the South Africa missions team.

First stop was a haircut at the end of the block, where the girl did a great job in three minutes straight without interrupting a text-message conversation with a guy she is very interested in. I know that because she provided a running commentary for the other associate in the salon.

While wandering around Target looking for a big enough clock for us all to see when we're on the stage on Sundays, I got the inevitable phone call from home - bring milk.

That was easy enough. It was on special too, so I was particularly happy, until I got to the checkout that is. While loading my few bits and pieces onto the belt, I noticed that the young woman on the till was engrossed in conversation on her cell phone. It continued while she scanned my purchases, grunted at me twice and handed me my change.

So here's my point. Will employers please rip those things out of the hands of their staff, tell them they're there to work and suggest they should give some attention to the customer, because the customer is actually important.

Then I got to thinking, as I do from time to time and I concluded that both the ladies I encountered that evening were doing nothing worse than many churches do most Sundays. They carry on doing their own sweet thing, oblivious to those who may be visiting and almost treating them as intruders.

I've heard the whole lot over the past few years, mainly from people who have now moved on -
I want more worship!
The teaching isn't deep enough!
Why do we need props on the stage?
Etc, etc, etc

Several people have asked me how many guests we have there on an average Sunday, I suppose the point was to suggest that the already Christian majority wins the right to indulge themselves on Sunday morning.

I explain with what degree of patience I can muster that whether there is one unchurched guest or a dozen who do not yet know Jesus, they are not incidental, unimportant, or to be ignored. Their spiritual journey should be our #1 priority - and it is!

The customer matters at CATMO!