My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND

This morning I woke up in Little Elm, Texas. It wasn't a Wizard of Oz kind of experience, or one like Phillip's in the book of Acts. I started the day here because we flew here last night and will be in sunny Texas until Saturday.

I am due to attend a board meeting in Dallas on Friday for a new missions organization I am advising, but we decided to come down early (it was a tough call!) to have a few days with our son and his family. We also brought our other grandson whose parents are currently in AZ - he was great on the plane and I enjoyed watching RV with him on his portable DVD player!

Back to this missions organization. A friend of mine has started it and its goal is not to do missions, but to gather resources (that's politically correct speak for raise money) for overseas projects helping children.

I love the concept of course and I appreciate the heart of people who don't need to build their own empire, but are content to undergird those that are doing the job.

Kingdom work takes money - lots of money. People tell me all the time that God will provide, but last time I checked, his program for doing that has got sadly diverted. God's plan for always having more than enough cash around to achieve his purposes is for those who belong to him to be generous and that just isn't going on as a general rule.

Most Christians have assumed God's role where finances are concerned. They clearly reckon his way stinks, so they do it their way. The kingdom suffers and they do too, because the blessings promised to the obedient just don't come their way.

I wonder how much could be achieved if God's people committed to really living God's way and doing his work in his way too. I wonder!