My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

ENJOYING THE JOURNEY

Had lunch today with a pastor I don't get together with too often. He had called last week and asked if we could meet up. I felt for this guy - great guy, but going through a season where things are not coming together in the church, folks have left and there's not a lot of commitment from many of those that are there.

He said he had seriously contemplated throwing in the towel. We talked about a number of issues and I made a few suggestions that might help them move forward.

I left there with a couple of impressions -

1. I was reminded that pastoring can be a very lonely calling. But I do think that much of the time when that is the case, it is self-imposed.

2. I recalled having been in similar situations myself and appreciating the friends who encouraged me to stick at it. I owe them a lot!

3. I was tremendously grateful to God for the church he is building among us. I love our church, I love pastoring and although I don't know where we're heading, I'm enjoying every bit of the journey.

Folks aren't always looking for clever answers. They generally don't want Bible quotes thrown at them either. But there are times when it's important to know that we are important and that someone cares.