My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

PUSHING MYSELF

Okay, I'll admit it - this 10K Race I've signed up for next month is starting to look huge to me. It didn't seem much at first as I do that distance every day on a treadmill, though I don't run the whole distance - I throw in a bit of brisk walking in the interest of staying alive!

But two weeks ago I decided I'd better try running on the road, away from the suspension of the treadmill and I have discovered that is another world. I'll jog five miles without interruption in the gym, but on the road I'm struggling to breathe after 400 yards.

This morning I decided to push myself a little harder. So I tuned my Ipod to some good music - Harvest United - and decided to just keep going. I ran further than I have before on the road (nowhere near as far as in the gym), but it was progress. I won't let this thing beat me. I can do it and I will, but I'll need to push myself a bit harder every day.

I think it was Napoleon who said I can find no end of people who will give their last drop of blood for a good cause, but very few who will give the first drop to get it started.

It's surprising what we can do when we extend ourselves a little. That's true in every part of life - especially in church life!