My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

LOOKING BACK DOWN A LONG ROAD (4)

I guess I've worked with thousands of people down through the years - small group leaders, musicians, worship leaders, nursery workers, ushers, office staff, etc., etc. Most of them have been a joy to have alongside me, but a few have been a major pain in the butt - I mean people who have caused me serious problems and have also hurt the church.

I haven't seen much of that over the past few years and I think that's because I've finally cracked the code.

Earlier on this journey I had been fooled by flattery, giddied by gifting and carried by charisma, but after quite a number of years I came to recognize that there is just one central issue that I need to look for in people who are really of use to God and his kingdom - character.

You can learn a lot of other stuff and compensate for limited gifting, but there is no substitute for character.

CATM is not a star-studded array of spiritual superstars, the core of the church is scores of good, solid, reliable people who love Jesus, have a passion to reach the lost and will do whatever it takes to make that happen.

If you ask me what I'm looking for in people, there are three things -

1. Character

2. Character

3. Character