My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, August 07, 2006

BREAKING OUT

Some time ago I heard leadership guru John Maxwell talk about the danger of getting into a rut. He encouraged his listeners to take risks and try new things.
If you have used the same cologne for the past ten years, it's time to break out, he advised.

Well, I am definitely not guilty there.

I have used the same cologne for at least 25 years! And with great respect to Mr. Maxwell, that's one thing I do not intend to change, although I came close earlier today.

It's a little difficult to find my favorite fragrance in stores nowadays. Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior is available in some airport Duty Free stores, but that's about all. I had hoped to pick some up while traveling to Scotland, but since that trip has been postponed, I reverted to good old Google and did a search.

I found it, surprisingly, at Amazon.com, but in the course of my research I discovered something rather disturbing.

Describing the cologne, one website suggested it was ideal for mature men!

Now that really made me think. I may have joined the AARP - at my wife's insistence - because of all the deals available to members (which I haven't discovered yet either), but trust me I'm resisting every suggestion thatI'm anything like over the hill.

So do I really want to wear old men's smelly stuff?

Ah, what the heck - the alternative on these summer days doesn't bear thinking about! Anyway, I don't think I'm anything like in a rut. Change is a way of life for me.