My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

FAQs

What do you think is the most frequently asked question I face in the course of any week? You may be surprised to know that it is not about how I keep my youthful looks or whether I believe in eternal security, nor even whether I really think the Mets will win the World Series. What most people want to know from me is What's happening about the church building?

One aspect of that journey I know nothing further about. The Justice Department in DC, having asked for copies of all our files in order to consider suing the Town of Brookhaven on our behalf, does not supply me with weekly updates. I guess they're doing what they do and I expect to hear from them at some point convenient to them. Hopefully with the news that the Attorney General has agreed to represent us in a just cause.

While pursuing the legal road, we have not given up on trying to get the Town Board to exempt churches from the restrictive code it adopted last year, which was primarily to stop our project, but which has put every congregation in the town that's looking to develop in a very difficult position.

Had a good chat with one of our attorneys today and it looks like he and the other attorney fighting for us are poised to lead a group that will seize control of the Brookhaven Conservative Party within a month from now.

Once appointed, the first item on their agenda will be the removal of limitations on church buildings in Brookhaven and they will be talking very candidly with the existing board members about what will win them conservative endorsement at the next election and what will not!

Interesting days ahead and the good chance of a major building code change before the end of the year!