My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, January 26, 2007

BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!

It's the coldest day in two years - the high is meant to be around 18f. That's around -8c I think for my European friends who have no lives and so check in here from time to time.

Of course once you factor in windchill that's reported to be making it feel like -5f (I'm smart enough to be staying indoors today!), you've got a celsius figure that you don't even want to know.

This is a good day to eat chicken curry for dinner and that is exactly what the plan is in Gilly's Kitchen. I made it a couple of nights ago, using spices I bought last time I was in India and though I say it myself, it is gooood! Throw in a few chapatis (Indian flat bread) from the Asia store in Selden and we're all set - or we will be once dinner time actually rolls around.

Shivering here on Long Island, it's hard to believe that two weeks from now I'll be back in the heat of Bombay and that for the first time Gill will be making the trip with me. I'm teaching a seminar for key pastors, all of whom lead networks of churches. They will take the content of what I share and then teach it themselves to those pastors, a potential 2,000 churches being helped through my modest efforts.

I love helping Indian pastors and I love the country. I was raised on stories of India as my father had not only spent the first nine years of his life there (my grandfather was serving in the British army in the days of the Empire), but he was also there himself for most of WWII as a member of the Royal Air Force, based outside Calcutta.

While we thank God for all he is doing at Church At The Movies, we will never forget that we are debtors to others and must pass on to them the benefits of what God has done for us.

Missions is a major part of our DNA.