My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, January 22, 2007

WHY I LEFT THE 49ERS


When I started traveling to the USA for ministry in the early 80's, I spent most of the time on the east coast, but did make several trips to San Francisco too. I loved it over there.

This was the decade of Bill Walsh's Super Bowl winning 49ers, led by the inimitable Joe Montana.

Returning home, British TV had started showing a very limited amount of American Football at obscure times of the night and the 49ers featured more frequently than any other team. So they became the organization I rooted for and I maintained that loyalty right through the good years and the bad years ... and the bad years ... and the bad years.

Until January 1st 2006.

Entering RCA Stadium in Indianapolis that day, I was handed a small booklet which I was told was A gift from Coach Dungy. In it he shared his faith as did several of his players and the last page guided the reader how to come to faith in Christ.

I read in Newsday yesterday that when Dungy played for the Steelers, other players would bet against each other who could make him curse. They all lost their money. He's a committed Christian, a family man, a role model.

He showed so much class that day we were there - his first Sunday back in charge since the suicide of his college-age son, that I decided that from then on I was going to root for the Colts and no longer for San Fran. It was more about the Coach than the team.

Look what a difference that has made to the teasm. Now they are bound for Super Bowl XLI!!!