My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

UNSUNG HEROES

I had breakfast with Josh Bonventre today. Although he's six months older than I am, Josh is relatively new to the role of a senior pastor, yet over the past five years he has made a radical impact on the dying church he took over in East Patchogue.

It has been good to support and encourage him as he has turned that congregation around and seen substantial growth. There have been some bumps in the road for Josh and he is currently dealing with a huge one.

About six weeks ago he went for a routine physical for an insurance policy and what came out of it was that he was diagnosed with bone cancer. He started chemo last week and was certainly looking good as he downed a huge breakfast today.

It has been a rollercoaster six weeks, but it has brought out the very best in the folks he is shepherding. The support he is getting from the church has been huge. Everyone has stepped up to the plate and it's like everyone there has grown through this experience.

As you pray for Josh, remember this - Too often we pray for God to make us great Christians but then ask him to take away the very things that will make us great.