My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

HOW WAS IT?

How was it?

How was it?

After two weekends away and the Christmas Eve service before that?

How was CATMO this morning? - It was outrageous!.

+ We baptized ten people today and though I don't have the exact details in front of me right now, I know that adds up to around 40 baptisms in the past nine months. Our Celebration Sundays remind us we're on track. Since our goal is to seek and save those that our lost, the evidence that this is not just a load of hot air is that people really are coming to Jesus and being baptized. And they are!

+ Despite the rain, we had a great crowd. You can usually guarantee that when the heavens open, a bunch of people decide to keep their front door closed and opt for the warmth of the fireside. But that didn't happen today.

+ Our son, Jonathan was with us for the weekend as he is in Manhattan this week on a business trip. Given the rough time he has had with his health over the pasy twelve months, it was a treat to get to spend a couple of days with him. Jonathan was part of our pastoral team before his work took him to Texas, so I got him to preach today and he did an outstanding job. I have made a mental note not to get him to do that too often just in case too many people begin to think the old man is redundant!

+ One apparently small detail that did me the world of good - we have a great guy who comes early every Sunday just to set out all the outdoor signs. It was raining today, so when he arrived I was thinking about doing a minimal amount of signage on the highway, in the parking lot, etc. But he had better insight than me because he wasn't looking at the rain, he was thinking about people. So off he went into the wet morning to put everything where it belongs because, as he pointed out, the baptisms will probably mean visitors coming and they need to know where to go. He got it - that meant a lot to me.

So it was an outstanding day for us.

This year is going to be huge.