My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

EVERY SUNDAY COUNTS


When I started pastoring 36 1/2 years ago, I made the commitment that at age 65 I would step back from the lead pastor's role. (We called them Senior Pastors back then and used a capital "S" and "P" as if writing about royalty!)

I still think that is the right way to go, because I have seen too many over-the-hill pastors clinging on for dear life and killing the good churches they were instrumental in building in previous years. It's like no one dared tell them they were past their best before date, or someone did but was not believed.

With that in mind, today is a milestone. There are now exactly 400 Sundays between now and my 65th birthday.

Four hundred Sundays! And I plan to make every one of them count.

A couple of weeks ago I quoted a prayer of Moses recorded in Psalm 90:1 and it really is pretty appropriate right now - Teach us to use wisely all the time we have.

I am going to keep having the time of my life, but hold on because the pace is definitley going to speed up. Every Sunday counts!