My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, January 29, 2007

BURGER JOINT CHURCH


A couple of years ago, upon hearing that I was going to a conference in California, someone I know went into ecstacies over In-N-Out Burger and mentioned how blessed I was to be traveling to a part of the country where I could enjoy this delicasy.

So while I was there I visited the place. Small, packed and a very limited menu. There were only three things on offer apart from fries and drinks -

Burger

Cheeseburger

Double-Double (Two cheeseburgers in a bun)


What on earth drew so many people to a place where you had to wait at least five minutes for your order and there wasn't much choice?

Easy, for sixty years now the company has stuck to doing a few things well. The reason you have to wait on your calorie and fat-laden treat is because everything is cooked upon request. Your burger has not been sitting for fifteen minutes in a warmer and it certainly has not recently been shoved into a microwave and zapped. Man, even the fries are fresh. What they do, they do very well.

We've taken that kind of approach to church ever since we launched. Our goal is to do a few things well. Now there have been a few tense moments over the years with people who came to us from churches that were dysfunctional and felt we should follow those dysfunctional ways.

Are we going to have a men's ministry? No!

Are we going to have an intercessory prayer group? No!

Are we going to have a ladies' fellowship? No!

Are we going to have? Are we going to have? No! No! No!


Here's what we have and where we want to excel-

1. Doing Sundays well.

2. Doing small groups well.

3. Serving others well.


That's enough. That's it. That's all we're doing and I guess from the number of people coming in our doors too, we're well on the way to achieving our goals. This year we'll focus on doing them even better.

LOVING GOD - LOVING PEOPLE - SERVING OUR WORLD