My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

JUST WALK ACROSS THE ROOM

Ever since the success of Rick Warren's 40 Days Of Purpose campaigns, preachers and their publishers have been constantly scurrying to put together packages they can sell to churches, generally comprising a book, some Sunday teaching suggestions, small group DVDs and study guides. I can hardly believe how many people are jumping on the bandwagon and are kind enough to send me samples that I have no intention whatever of using.

However when Bill Hybels writes a book about connecting with the unchurched, I take note and when he puts it out in a format that can be used for the whole church, I am especially interested. Because if anyone knows anything about building bridges to reach the unreached it's this guy, pastor of Willow Creek Community Church in Illinois.

He doesn't know it, but Bill Hybels played a huge part in the establishing of our church. In the summer of 1998 Gill and I spent a week out at Montauk talking, praying and thinking about the future. After almost 30 years of pastoring, we were looking to see what God wanted us to do with the rest of our lives.

During the course of that week I read Hybels' book Rediscovering Church, which tells the Willow Creek story and explains how their church is structured. It touched a cord with me.

Willow was started with the express purpose of winning people to Jesus - a rare concept in church circles today. Most congregations are social clubs of varying sizes catering to the whims of their exclusive membership while paying lip service only to the needs of those that are lost and could well spend eternity that way.

The book re-ignited a flame that had burned brightly within me when I started out pastoring at the age of 20, but had been slowly extinguished as I spent my life playing nursemaid to Christians who were going nowhere and whose sole focus was their own well-being.

What a great concept - reaching the not-yet-Christians.

Could we do it?

Should we do it?

Yes we should!

And that's how this adventure started. Hybels doesn't just talk about bringing people to Jesus. He does it. He pastors one of the largest churches in the country, but on a personal level he still works at building relationships with people who do not yet know Christ so that in time he can introduce them to the Savior.

In a year when we are looking to take major strides forward, the focus on Just Walk Across The Room will make sure we are headed in the right direction.

The action starts on Sunday February 11th and the small groups registration is open right now.