My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

WHAT A TEAM!

I just got home from a daylong meeting with our ministry leaders. With a couple of exceptions, we had everyone who heads up an area of ministry with Church At The Movies together for fellowship and teaching.

Our Volunteer Coordinator, Debbie Ingino did an outstanding job of pulling everyhting together for the day and my good friend Douglas McIntyre from Indianapolis shared some excellent material on subjects like Leadership Styles and Coaching Your Team. All very inspiring and thought-provoking stuff.

One fascinating part of the program was when Doug asked the group what they thought we should do to help us reach our goals if we found an extra $100,000 in the budget. After getting a number of replies, he suggested we think again and come up with non-religious answers - answers that were "outside the box" (he didn't use that phrase and I don't like to either as it has been worked to death, but it conveys the idea).

Folks, there is great cause for concern about the welfare of our church. Going on today's evidence and the ideas that surfaced, our ministry leaders to the very last person are as insane as I am. You should have heard their suggestions!

You would not believe what they would do with that $100K to help us accomplish our purposes.

Since the presence or absence of money must never be the deciding factor in the kingdom of God, I suggested that we should sit down with that list of craziness anyway and check out what we could actually implement in the coming months.

We're going to do that on March 4th.

Be afraid. Be very afraid!