My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

THIS IS A TEST

Let's see how many of you can come up with the right answer!

It's Wednesday night, so what am I going to talk about?

You can congratulate yourself and brag about your genius to the whole world if, without scrolling back to previous weeks, you came up with the response - my small group.

Just got back from darkest East Patchogue and sadly from the last small group meeting of this cycle. I missed the first couple of meetings as I was in India, but have thoroughly appreciated these past four weeks at Ken and Lenore Swaner's home. I've been going there alone as Gill committed to an all-ladies small group (I wonder that the ACLU allows that) before I had made a decision about what I was going to do, but we have had a great mix of people - twelve of us in total I think.

Our hosts are brilliant at leading a small group. They do all the essentials really well -

1. Lenore makes great coffee.
2. She puts on an incredible spread of goodies.
3. The house is warm and inviting.
4. They are both friendly and welcoming.
5. They clearly put time into preparing the material for the evening.
6. They take a lot of interest in what has been happening that week in group members' lives.
7. They keep things moving along and focused.
8. They don't get intense - we laugh a lot.
9. They keep a good prayer focus.
10. They get us home at a reasonable hour.

I've loved this small group. The material has been superb too. Hope they'll be hosting next time around - I'll be there!