My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

FULL DAY

It was great to join the folks at Medford Assembly of God this afternoon for the dedication of their new building. It wasn't the most thrilling event I've been at lately, but what do you do? You have to have all the necessary speeches, expressions of thanks, etc.

It took them twice as long and cost them twice as much, but now they're enjoying the benefits of a very demanding three years and three months.

I liked the way they honored the founding pastor, John Keller who started the church, built the first building and pastored there until he retired in 1997.

When we started Grace Church, John and his wife Alice joined us, which always amazed me because I thought that we would be far too out there for an aging veteran AG pastor, but he seems to have really taken to our style and even after his poor health left him housebound, he still got recordings of the message every week. I haven't actually seen him since Alice's funeral last year, yet the first thing he did today was ask about our son's health. He's a classy guy and laid a great foundation for what is now a thriving Medford church.

I pulled out of that service a few minutes before it ended to get home and pick up Gill and then our neighbors so we could go and eat dinner together as planned. It was a really good evening. They are a great young couple (heck everyone is young nowadays) - he's a cop in Brooklyn and she's a PA for an oncologist. We talked a lot, laughed and ate some good Italian food (if you can call broiled tilapia over spring greens Italian!!!).

One thing we discovered about them is that they like Indian food - so that's the direction we'll be heading next time.

A very good day, but very full!

BTW, can't believe the emails I'm getting after this morning's teaching - all very positive stuff!