My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

TODAY WAS A CRAP DAY

I thought that would get your attention!

The words are not mine. They were part of an email I received earlier from a friend of mine who pastors a great, growing church quite a distance from here. It seems that some religious and self-righteous people in his congregation had unloaded both barrels on him today, suggesting he knows squat, including knowing God or the Bible.

I understand how he is feeling, as does every pastor. Over the years I've been cursed out, threatened, physically attacked, etc., etc. - all by Christians of course.

My friend goes on to ask the quesion, Why am I doing this?

Every pastor I know has been there too, but sadly not all of them have come up with the answer that followed in today's email - It's not for them!

Sometimes it's tough to stay focused on who it is all about. Jesus said he didn't come for those who were healthy, his mission was to help those who were sick. And that is ours. That's what ministry is about and that's what church is about. It's all about reaching those that are lost and bringing them into relationship with God. We do it for them.

.