My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

BAD THINGS - GOOD PEOPLE

Ron Mazza is one of the most energetic and effective members of our hospital ministry team (Barnabas Network) that you could ever find. Part of that is perhaps due to the fact that he was told ten years ago that he only had months to live himself and that he has been more aquainted with hospitals and doctors than most folks would ever want to be.

When I was sick a couple of years ago, he took a whole afternoon and spent it with me, encouraging me and picking me up. That's what Ron does. So when I heard yesterday that he is in hospital with a likely recurrence of cancer symptoms, I went to see if I could return the favor. Sadly he was so heavily sedated that I'm not convinced he knew what way was up, however I spent an hour or so there with him and plan to go back this evening.

He's a good man - an outstanding man.

Today I chatted on the phone with Josh Bonventre who has been having chemo for the past four or five months and was on his way back from Sloane Kettering where they had been harvesting his own bone marrow to give him a transplant next week. He's been through a heck of a lot and has somehow managed nonetheless to stay at the helm of the excellent church he is leading in East Patchogue.

It has been a tough road for him, for the family and for the church. He's bracing himself for what he knows will be a very demanding few weeks ahead of him, but thankfully the prognosis is encouraging.

He's a good man - an outstanding man.

Word from India today is that Pastor Agnel remains comfortable following the surgery to remove a massive tumor and one of his kidneys. He managed to travel back down to Goa for a few days to encourage the congregations he leads there and has now returned to Mumbai for more treatment.

He coughs constantly because his lungs are so badly affected and while there is a real doubt that the chemo he is starting can help him, with God all things are possible. Agnel loves God and loves people.

He's a good man - an outstanding man.

Which all goes to prove that bad things do happen to good people. But since God is the one who has planned the journey, thankfully he specializes in turning around what seems bad so that it works out for our good.

Please say a prayer for my friends as you finish reading this.