My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, June 29, 2007

IPHONE


If you're one of the few people who have watched the hype about iPhones going on sale today and wondered what all the fuss was about, you'll have no idea why I've been reading about them and figured it would be great to have one.
Of course I have neither the cash or the inclination to spend that much on a phone cum ipod cum computer cum back scratcher cum mobile coffee maker.
My friend John Laeger from Minnesota put the whole issue into perspective on his blog today -
I think anyone who spends $500.00 on a phone needs to have their head examined.
Now...if you have no consumer debt, you are tithing a full 10%, the church is financially solid, your wife has had her fill of weekends away with just the two of you, your kids are tired of going to Valleyfair or Mall of America, your teen doesn't want that CD player for their car or DVD player for their room (I know, how foolish of me to think of spending $500 on a teen just so they can have some electronic gadget in their room which would take them away from family time)...AND you have asked two or three close friends (who aren't afraid to be totally honest with you) if you should spend $500 on a phone and they say, "You bet. THAT is a great way to spend $500! Your life will be much better because of it!"

Then go ahead.