My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

THAT WAS SOME PARTY

Just got home from the celebration for the life of Sister Elaine. Kudos to her family, they sure know how to throw a party. It beat the heck out of the usual morbid funeral home event.

Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of tears, but there was laughter too and to my mind the whole evening formed a fitting tribute to an outstanding woman.

Of course Sister Elaine wasn't there - she's in heaven having a blast and probably still recovering from being blown away by the reception she got from Jesus. There wasn't even a coffin, as in dying she continued the pattern of giving that she exemplified in life, by donating every part of the body she no longer needed that could be of use to someone else.

There were a few words that have stuck in my mind from the tributes offered tonight -

NAIVE - That word was used in the most positive way possible, describing the fact that her faith was uncomplicated and she was undeterred by the apparent impossibility of any situation. She seldom saw danger either as she went into some high-risk situations. She dared, she ventured, she succeeded and her example reminds us that simple faith reaps dividends.

PIONEER - She certainly was that, taking on the plight of the poor and homeless on Long Island and giving it such a profile that even politicians courted her to see how they could help. Some of them were there tonight too - as was local TV.

PASSION - Her pastor, Dennis Evenson, spoke about the fact she was driven by a passion to take Jesus to those who really needed him. He talked about how the whole concept of ministering to the poor had been birthed in Sister Elaine's heart when she was a member of his congregation and how it consumed her.

So that's it - a naive pioneer with passion.

After spending some time listening to her, you either concluded she was nuts or you got pumped yourself. That was why I loved being with her, her faith was infectious - I want to be a naive pioneer with passion too!