My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, November 26, 2007

HYPING IT UP

At the gym this morning I spent some time watching ESPN's review of the weekend's football. It seems there were a few good games around the country, while we were stuck with the Giants having a really bad day on our TV screens.

What followed just after dawn today was something my marketing executive friend Ian Baer should take a look at and maybe add to his portfolio. It was ESPN's effort to sell this evening's Monday Night Football game between the Steelers and the 0-10 lackluster, underscoring, underperforming, not-worth-watching Miami Dolphins.

ESPN went back to some footage of a Monday night game they had in the archives when the Dolphins achieved a stunning come from behind victory. Will they surprise us all again? Will this be Miami's night once more?

No, of course it won't.

They're sad. A franchise with an impressive history that has spent more than enough seasons lost in space.

But kudos to the writers at ESPN for their great effort at selling this pointless game. Their creativity is truly amazing.

One thing I strive for when we put together promotional pieces for our church is truth in advertising. We have to be able to produce what we promise and avoid the trap of loading ourselves with superlatives that describe the way we wish we were rather than the present reality.

I can't deal with hype in what we put out for those not yet in the church, or with hype inside for that matter!