My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, December 21, 2007

GIVING AND RECEIVING

It's a funny old life!

Yesterday afternoon Gill and I were all set to go into Manhattan to celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary, but the weird thing is that when it came time to head to the train, we were more inclined to stay at home and do nothing for the evening. Not that we did of course, because we had already paid for tickets to see Wintuk, Cirque De Soleil's Christmas presentation in the theater at Madison Square Garden.

We enjoyed a good dinner at one of our favorite Indian Restaurants, The Jewel of India on East 44th Street, though the act of eating was a little rushed as the service was slower than usual and we were working to a curtains-up deadline. That having been said, the food was very good!

The show was okay, but save your money if you didn't buy your tickets yet.

What am I talking about? It wasn't okay.

I was bored out of my skull and a few jugglers, basic acrobats and a hoola hoop twirler were not exactly what I was expecting from the spectacular Cirque De Soleil when I shelled out $100 a pop for our very good seats.

Don't misunderstand me, I know I am blessed and I am grateful for the opportunity to eat in the city and watch a Christmas show, but the truth is I'll have a lot more fun distributing Christmas gifts to the needy with our mobile soup kitchen team tomorrow.

I guess Jesus had it right when he talked about it being more blessed to give than to receive.