My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

STUCK IN SNOWY CANADA

It's quite a while since last I was in Canada, but one thing I have been reminded of this weekend is they're hardy folks up here. Either that or they're barking mad!

It started snowing as we were leaving Buffalo Airport last night and I guess it continued through the night, because as we set out for Church at The Falls - http://churchatthefalls.com/ - this morning, the cold, white stuff was still coming down.

Now New Yorkers are a tough bunch, but we're not nuts. So we'd have made the call early today and cancelled the service if that was us (I doubt if anyone would have showed up anyway).

Not so here. By the time we arrived at the movie theater that houses this young congregation, the trailer with the equipment had already been offloaded and a bunch of people were getting everything in place for the 10.00am start. Despite the really bad weather, an amazing 50% of the usual crowd braved it through the elements and amazingly seemed in no rush to head for home once the service was over.

I enjoyed being there. I have got to know the lead pastor, Brandon Duff ,over the past couple of years and we have chatted regularly as he went through the preparations to launch and actually got this venture under way.

There's a great feel to this church. So many people who are hands-on, doing whatever needs to be done and above all sharing the vision to reach the unchurched in Niagara Falls for Jesus.

Some randon reflections on this visit -

+ Brandon, Brenda and their two teenage children are a great family.

+ Their theater is in a superb location and is in an outstanding condition.

+ They spend a fortune on Portable Church equipment, which I have backed away from because of the cost, but today I saw first-hand how well it works.

+ They have some really committed people - like, imagine the guys who pulled a 24ft trailer several miles through thick snow to bring in the equipment. And then took it back through thicker snow.

+ Their coffee's good - Tim Horton's might do well in the U.S.

+ Didn't preach my best by any means, but several folks said it helped them.

+ I love being with church planters - they're their own brand of insane.

+ This church is going to grow and impact lives.

+ Brandon's very smart - he asks a lot of questions.

+ I'm dumb so I pretend I know some of the answers.

+ Brenda served me my meal on a snack table while I was watching football - now if only she could train Gill!!!

+ People talk a bit funny in Canada - eh?

+ Hope I get home before Christmas - keep thinking of the movie Trains, Planes and Automobiles!

+ It's still snowing!